THREADS AND NEEDLES PASSIONS.....

is my own little spot on the web to share my passion for cross-stitch, swedish weaving, knitting, and family........

Friday, January 7, 2011

ALWAYS GET THE RECIPE!

My mom passed away 4 years ago.....before that she suffered from alzheimers.......before her alzheimers got the best of her, she made the best rice pudding for my oldest daughter (according to my daughter...I don't like rice pudding).....I never paid attention to HOW she made it...what she did that was so special, and any recipe that I have tried does not match my mom's.......I have all her recipes....but that is not written anywhere....last night I made pan-fried haddock....my mom made THE BEST pan-fried haddock....I wish I could have called her and asked HOW she made hers so good....mine was a miserable excuse for pan-fried haddock..something that seems so simple...same thing for her fish cakes...meat loaf.......soup...these were all fantastic when mom made them...problem is those "recipes" were in her head....now lost forever......so...just saying....ALWAYS GET THE RECIPE!

On a brighter note...I have been working on "Seven Days of Creation" for the past couple of days...another wonderful design by Paulette of Plum Street Samplers...I love this design, but needed to put it down for a while....my mojo for it has returned.

We are supposed to be getting some snow this weekend, so I think that I will put on a pot of chili tomorrow morning, so that we can have that for supper and other than that...I don't have to go anywhere, ofcourse I will be shack wacky by the time the weather clears.....but is that really any different from the normal me???? LOL

Have a great day everyone!


5 comments:

  1. Yep, the recipe is so very important. And even then, they seem to add a little something they neglect to mention. My MIL made the best soup and I could never duplicate it even after standing right beside her.
    Oh boy, more snow - you guys have sure been nailed this winter. Hope it's not too bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marion, I hear you on the recipes. My mom died suddenly when I was almost 19 -- and all her recipes went with her. I've been slowly trying to recreate her recipes over the years. I'm not sure I got any of them just right, but I've been trying.

    I love that PSS piece as well! Paulette is one of my favorite designers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, how true, Marion! I've been intending to write down all my recipes for my kids... adding my wee bits of this and that I toss in and such, but just never seem to get around to it.

    I loved visiting your blog and look forward to my return... lots of lovely stitcheries and photos of your lovely family and furbaby...

    Wishing you much love and joy, good cheer and a warm hearth, blessings abounding and loads of peaceful stitching thyme in the New Year...

    Blessings always in stitches...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I also lost a lot of recipes that I continually asked my mom to write down. And also family members names, etc.

    I have this pattern to stitch one day too! I think I'll attack it when I'm done with my current piece. I am no longer going to stitch more than one piece at a time. :0)

    Hugs!

    ReplyDelete